So, you have decided to start blogging with your elementary school students.
- You know that that blogging is MORE than creating a static website collaboratively with your students.
- You are committed to creating a learning community, that allows students to document their work online,Â develop a dialogue with their classmates, collaborate in the process, reflect on their work and learning, connect their ideas and thoughts to others.
Kim Cofino’s blog post Blogging s Elementary is a great resource to look at. She has divided her lesson plan into five parts in order to introduce her students to blogging:
- What do we know about blogs?
- Understand basics of blogs
- Concept of blogging as writing
- Internet Safety
- Online Identity
- Responsible Behavior Guidelines
- Process of writing good comments
- Process of writing good blog posts
I am using Kim’s approach as a guideline. I really like the order of her lessons and feel that it was well thought through and will prove effective for us.
There are 4 areas to address and to be divided into separated lessons. I am not sure yet, how long each lesson will take and am hesitant to lock them into a certain amount of minutes.
Stay tuned for upcoming blog posts outlining each part of this process.