After 14 months of manually managing the rapidly growingÂ participants/educators to the Around the World with 80 Schools project (and adding their locations to a Google Map), I have decided to migrate and build a community for participants on the Around the World with 80 Schools Ning.
Here is some info about the project and steps to join and participate.
Around the World with 80 Schools started in January 2009 and is an ongoing project.
The challenge is to connect your students with 80 schools from around the world via Skype (a free video conferencing tool). Once completed, you will be inducted into the Hall of Fame of “Skyping Certified Educator” 🙂
So make sure you keep documentation of your connections.
It is up to you how regularly and for how long you connect with your Skype partners. The only requirement to count as a “connection” is that you are connecting your students with another school anywhere in the world. While it will take some participants a few months to complete the challenge, it might take others several years and different student groups to connect with 80 schools. There is no time limit nor pressure to make a certain amount of Skype connections in a given time period.
You are welcome to join with your students at any time. There is no grade nor subject area limitations.
- Sign up for the project to add your contact info to a growing list of educators from around the world who are interested and ready to connect with you and your students. Once added and approved, you will receive access to the spreadsheet with the contact info.
- Become a member of the Around the World with 80 Schools Ning.
- Add your location to the Member Map on the Ning
- Make contact via the spreadsheet or via the Ning.
- Document your connections.
- Share your experience on the Ning by writing a blog post, adding images, videos or links.
- When you have completed 80 connections, submit application (more info to come soon) to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Already a member from Around the World with 80 Schools?
You already have access to the contact info spreadsheet. Please join the Ning and add your location to the Member Map on the Ning, The placemark will link back to your Member Profile. Please blog about your Skype experiences with your students and share images and videos of the Skype connection with the network.
Help me spread the word of the skyping educator Ning, by tweeting and blogging about it.