I am meeting with Andrea Hernandez and our 5th graders to give our students an introduction (an awareness) about the design of a blog. The 5th graders are one of our pilot grades of implementing student portfolios. We will be starting the lesson out by looking at different sites that these 10/11 year olds frequent. What do they like about them, what don’t they like?
Here are some of the sites the students look at on a regular basis.
- Webkinz/Club Penguin
- Cool Math
- Animal Jam
- Image related to content
- Search function
- Thumbnail images
They don’t like:
- Advertisement (distracting)
Will will also look at different sites designed for different audiences:
- News Sites- CNN, BBC,Â Frankfurter Allgemeine, Jacksonville Times Union,
- School Sites- MJGDS, Charlotte Country Day School, Gesher Jewish Day School
- Student sites- Check outÂ many examples of student blogs participating in the Student Blogging Challenge.
Check out some of these web pages. What do you think of their design?
- Yale University School of Arts
- Political Campaign
- Indiana University: Evolution and Nature of Science Institute
- Car Leasing
I will be using and clarifying (if needed) “web (blog) design” vocabulary.
- Themes- WordPress Theme Gallery
- Embed Code
- HTML- Funky Chickens, Lissa Explains, Mrs. Yollis’s post
- Colors- use Color Scheme Designer, Hex Color Picker
- Fonts- typography- DaFonts, Samples of Web Typography,
Students will then browse the WordPress Theme Gallery to find a theme with a design of their liking. Since we are using WordPress 3.0 multi user site, students are not able to download and install their own themes, but will have to email us the link to the theme and the SuperAdmins will have to install and activate the theme network wide.
Once the theme of their liking is activated we will meet again to talk about how to customize their blog further with custom headers and other widgets.
Image licensed under Creative Commons by Swamibu Blinging your Blog:
- ClustrMap- Add a map of visitors
- Flag Counter- Add the flags of countries your visitors are from
- Revolver Maps- Add a rotating globe of your visitors
- Shelfari- Add a bookshelf
- Voki- Create an animated speaking avatar
- Virtual Pet
- Jeff Utecht wrote a blog post about Discussing Web Design in 5th Grade.