Home » Education »Featured Carousel »Leadership »Learning »Professional Development » Currently Reading:

Students Are Speed Geeking

During last year’s edJEWcon conference (a Teaching & Learning Institute for Jewish Educators, which  I help organize with Andrea Hernandez and Jon Mitzmacher) we invited our Middle School students to attend our keynote session with Heidi Hayes Jacobs. We all watched magic happen, when students (without being asked) created their own backchannel and added their perspective to the conversation about THEIR learning.

When it came time to plan for this year’s edJEWcon, I wanted to make sure we involved our students not just by accident, but  strategically and purposefully.

I originally read about the idea of Speed Geeking for Professional Development from Kim Cofino on her blog Always Learning. She described the process in the post Take Your Faculty Speed Geeking. The idea is based on Speed Dating, where people get to “know/learn about” many different people in a short amount of time. (We talk a lot about motivating students, giving students a voice, engaging students in their learning. We need to talk less and act more.). The idea of Speed Geeking seemed to be the perfect opportunity and platform.

I enlisted the help of our 4th & 5th grade Language Arts teacher, Stephanie Teitelbaum. We presented the idea of participating and becoming teachers to teachers during edJEWcon to students.

• Anyone interested in being part of the Geek team, was asked to submit a proposal/outline to demonstrate knowledge and teaching skills of a tool, app, program or device.
  • Once a proposal was accepted, the students needed to get permission from their parents, since the session would take place during a non-school day and we needed a commitment that they would be brought to school at a given time.
  • The “geek” was asked to prepare a flyer and guide (tutorial) to support their presentation during the speed geeking session.
  • With the flyer/guide created, students were asked to present live to each other and us, demonstrating that they had thought through and practiced their geek session.
  • We met two times during school hours to discuss, prepare and rehearse. Students brought their own ideas (ex. dressing up with nerd classes, wearing suspenders, creating nametags, etc.)

speed-geeking-1

Seven students were accepted into our Speed Geeking team for edJEWcon.

• Benjamin taught how to create a QR code with Goo.gl and what he uses QR codes for
  • Samantha shared her favorite tool Frames for storytelling and tutorial design
  • Eliana surprised everyone with Skitch and all its uses
  • Rebecca (5th grade) mesmerized attendees with her wisdom of blogging and commenting
  • Jamie was a hit by showcasing her expertise with iMovie on her iPad and by making entertaining everyone with her funny and witty personality
  • Ariella took even experienced PowerPoint users by surprise as she shared advanced tips
  • Rebecca (4th grade) shared her favorite program Pixie and in addition left everyone in awe with her ability of using a computer keyboard and trackpad up side down

They had 5 minutes to share their chosen tool, program or framework that they, as students, use at school to create and demonstrate evidence of their learning. Attendees were encouraged to ask any questions they had.

imovie-jamie

qr

Each “Geek” sat around a table, ready to demonstrate and Q&A, before attendees moved on to the next Geek station.

speed-geeking-4

speed-geeking-3

speed-geeking-5

speed-geeking-6

speed-geeking-7

speed-geeking-8

speed-geeking

Take a look at his short VIDEO to get a feel for the session.

Below is a “paper tweet”, as overheard from one of the session attendees.

speed-geeking-note

Take a look at the Twitter stream with commentary from other participants of the Speed Geeking session.

speedgeeking-1 speedgeeking-2 speedgeeking-3 speedgeeking-4 speedgeeking-5 speedgeeking-6 speedgeeking-7 speedgeeking-8 speedgeeking

A wonderful blogging conversation ensued on Ken Gordon’s blog, All the Rest Is Commentary: Getting Schooled by a Day Schooler, as he reflected on the Speed Geeking session, specifically on the “blogging table” with Rebecca:

My wooziness owes itself chiefly to a child named Rebecca… who spoke to me, and a sizable number of JDS professionals, of her lucid, reasonable, and ethically minded philosophy on blog commentary.

Rebecca knows things about blogging etiquette some people three and four times and five times her age don’t know.

How does she manage this?

Not only was Rebecca able to articulate, present, interact and amaze her audience, but she also practiced what she preached by leaving a quality, thoughtful comment for Ken Gordon (on HIS blog) to continue the conversation in digital spaces.

My take-away from our Geek Session

I felt extremely proud of each one of our students. I was able to stand back and enjoy watching them (not take a test, not perform) but just be. They were relaxed (with a little touch of nervousness during the first round) and OVERSTEPPED any expectations we had… and they knew it. We gave them space, an authentic audience, real world work and responsibility. Students were true and valued contributors to our conference (à la Digital Learning Farm). They was never the question “Why do we have to learn this?” The learning was embedded into the desire for a positive outcome. As teachers, we did not have to lament disengagement and lack of motivation. Students were on target, did not forget deadlines, demanded quality content of themselves (up until the morning of the session, I continued to receive updated and “better” versions of their flyers and resources) and continued to practice and rehearse on their own.  They showed ownership and demonstrated what I have been narrowing down as one of the most important skills of our times (aka 21st century): self-directed and self- motivated learning.

Does this mean that every one of our classrooms look like this? Do all of our lessons, units, assignments, projects, assessments, etc. demonstrate student voice, involvement and authentic work? Not yet… but we (and most importantly the students)  have tasted the honey.

I am thinking of speed geeking opportunities for my students:

• to parents
  • at a retirement home
  • to pre-service teachers from the local university
  • feeder schools

What do you think?

Currently there are "22 comments" on this Article:

1. Students Are Speed Geeking @langwitches A remarkable learning experience! http://t.co/xAJjTuMOuc

2. Love the trailer! RT @langwitches: Students are Speed Geeking- Give students authentic TEACHING opportunities http://t.co/GbPulQ9H4w

3. The Speed Geeking was an amazing experience, and I love the idea of implementing it elsewhere, especially at a retirement home. How exciting for both the students and retirees to interact in that way!

4. What an amazing experience the Speed Geeking was, and I think it would be fabulous to try it in other venues, particularly a retirement home. What a fun way for children and retirees to interact!

5. @SLACCAMO says:

Students show adults what they can do through speed geeking. Students Are Speed Geeking http://t.co/dFnP07HBnG via @zite

6. @TechRav @rabbiross @chanales @simchaschaum @dovemerson Here’s a link from a colleague http://t.co/nVG12rYdmC

7. @GailLeGrand says:

Students Are Speed Geeking http://t.co/yKGZlbe3f8 via @zite Great idea!

8. Students Are Speed Geeking http://t.co/GCZtufedN7 via @zite

9. @sjgorman says:

Students Are Speed Geeking | Langwitches Blog http://t.co/sJGrZBY4wg #edtech #mlearning

10. @posickj says:

Students Are Speed Geeking http://t.co/FobYXDJLdy via @zite #mcsdTILT

11. @dbozetarnik says:

Students Are Speed Geeking http://t.co/GatRQlrYTu via @zite

12. Students Are Speed Geeking http://t.co/i1Y64Y2Na1 via @zite @langwitches

13. @mrneedleman says:

Speed geeing with students or faculty…great way to share innovative ideas quickly http://t.co/43zVcNHYPu

14. Love this! RT @PEJEjds: @RealSchool1 @TikvahWiener @tamritzlearning This piece Speed Geeking should help! http://t.co/j0uWL7TNrb

15. Students Are Speed Geeking | Langwitches Blog http://t.co/oTjNWivU1y #gcsk12 #nced

16. Students Are Speed Geeking | Langwitches Blog http://t.co/wSQa6KoGOm

17. @infotweets says:

I would <3 2 c this with pu lib staff as the learners! any1 tried? Students Are Speed Geeking http://t.co/tLFVqwkBpy

18. @whatedsaid says:

Me too! RT @kathleen_morris: Love this idea – students speed geeking by @langwitches http://t.co/nd1osiq86O

19. [...] my recent post of  Students Are Speed Geeking at edJEWcon, I highlighted the need  and an example of exposing and involving our students in [...]

20. Anna Mattos says:

I love the idea. I would like to replicate in my school. Let you know how it goes. It is a wonderful opportunity to practice empathy, respect, and language skills for students. My school students are ESL , so this is a wonderful opportunity for them to practice fluency and expression.

21. [...] Students are Speed Geeking  I asked myself the question – what could my kids teach me? [...]

22. @runkles1 says:

Langwitches Blog | The Magic of Learning – Students are Speed Geeking – What a cool idea! http://t.co/NsAgTXDYSU

Comment on this Article:

Subscribe to Langwitches via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Archives

Choose a Category

In Need of Professional Development?

Contact
Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano for customized workshops, coaching and presentations.
Video Conference sessions available.

For a list of sample sessions visit Globally Connected Learning .

Want to Learn More About iPads in the Classroom?

Professional Learning Board just released a Self-study iPads in the Classroom course I wrote. It is a self-directed course to take in your own time and at your own speed.

eduClipper

Upcoming Books

Like Langwitches on Facebook

Digital Storytelling Tools for Educators

Guest Posts

Augmented Reality that’s “Real” and Focused on Learning

aurasma1

cross posted with permission from Dr. Silvana Meneghini,’s On The Edge Blog. Silvana, the High School Technology Coordinator at Graded, The American School of São Paulo, shared a How-To post to connect augmented reality to student reflection by adding a layer of learning (not technology for technology sake). I highly …

(2 Comments)

Upgrading Our Recipes for Learning: Digital Learning Strategies

digital-learning-stragegies

In an attempt to bring  new additions to your Blog reader, I am starting to feature  guest posts on Langwitches. Be assured that these guest posts are from educational bloggers, I highly value and their voices contribute significantly to my own learning. Today I am sharing a blog post and …

(No Comments)

Is Technology shoving Pedagogy to the center stage? TPACK Reviewed

TPCK

Guest post by Silvana Meneghini, Academic Technology Coordinator, Graded- American School of São Paulo. Originally posted on her blog On the Edge. Pedagogical ideas like student centered learning, collaboration, and critical thinking have been around for a long time and are slowly making the way into the classroom. When technology …

(3 Comments)

Professional Development

How to Create a Backchannel Exit Ticket for Class, Presentation or Workshop?

Creating_a_BackChannel_or_Exit_Ticket_on_Google_Docs_on_Vimeo

This screencast below will show you how to use Google Docs as a backchannel or exit ticket during a presentation, lesson or workshop. Creating a BackChannel or Exit Ticket on Google Docs from langwitches on Vimeo.

(1 Comment)

Redefining My Learning

story

Silvana Meneghini and I  work as Academic Technology Coordinators at Graded, the American School of São Paulo. ” A flashlight in the fog of technology integration“, initially the title of a conference workshop proposal, quickly developed into the desire of creating a framework to guide and coach teachers based on …

(1 Comment)

SAMR Exercise Google Hangout: Mark Your Calendars

SAMR-exercise

Silvana Meneghini and I  have created a template for technology, learning and literacy coaches. In an effort to create a depository of examples and scenarios for lessons and activities and how an upgrade movement through the stages of the SAMR model actually looks like in the classroom, we are shared …

(6 Comments)

Download

21st Century Learning

Visible Thinking in Math- Part 1

fail

The conversation about visible thinking in Math started with one of our teachers at Graded, The American School of São Paulo, Adam Hancock, wanting to know how he could incorporate having students’ use their blogfolios in Math class. It seemed natural to have students write for Humanities (Language Arts and …

(2 Comments)

Redefining My Learning

story

(1 Comment)

Reflection in the Learning Process, Not As An Add On

Reflection

Is it personality? Are some people born with it? Can it be learned? I am talking about REFLECTION. At the beginning of the week, I had the opportunity to be part of a workshop during our pre-service ( we just returned from our summer break here in the Southern Hemisphere) …

(6 Comments)

The Digital Learning Farm in Action

Student Tutorials- MineCraft, How to Ride a Horse, iMovie and more

minecraft-tutorial

It is no secret, that I am a big fan of Alan November‘s Digital Learning Farm concept. I especially believe in Teaching is the Highest Form of Understanding and the power of motivation and demonstration of evidence of student learning via the Tutorial Designer role. See a myriad of blog …

(3 Comments)

3 Need-Scenarios to Engage Students with Authentic Tasks

core-value-icons-tibet

Alan November’s concept of the Digital Learning Farm, asks schools and teachers to empower students by giving them relevant responsibilities that allow them to contribute in  meaningful ways to their learning community (class/school/etc.). How can we give students the opportunity to CONTRIBUTE versus completing projects that end up in the …

(4 Comments)

Blogging as the Official Scribe of the Classroom

official-scribe-poster

Alan November elevated the “Official Scribe” as one of the roles that empower student learners. I see the role of the scribe as follows: The official scribe plays an important role in the classroom community. Their work is essential for students who were absent from class or need a review …

(10 Comments)

Global Education

Selfies Around the World

selfies

On the heels of The Cultural Phenomena of Selfies and  iPhoneography: Photo Challenges, Ideas & Literacy, students from the American School of São Paulo, Brazil want to know more about Selfies around the world. If you and your students would like to CONTRIBUTE with actual images for an in- school and online exhibition …

(2 Comments)

Julie Lindsay: Designing Engaging Curriculum for Global Collaboration in the Classroom

Following the post:  Note- Taking Learnflow of a Conference Workshop, here is the second story of my curated tweets from a session with Julie Lindsay. My favorite take away from her well run workshop was her quote “Flat learning is a pedagogy”. Amplifying our classroom, allowing students to reach out …

(No Comments)

Eduplanet21 Learning Path: Globally Connected Educator

eduplanet

As part of Curriculum21 Social Learning Institute and in collaboration with Eduplanet21, I have authored a Learning Path for the Globally Connected Educator. Take a look at the modules offered. If you are interested, Eduplanet is giving away 5  free access codes to the learning path.  Continue reading to find …

(2 Comments)

Blogging With your Classroom

Student Led Conferences: Sick and Tired of Blogs & Reflection?

SLC

Our students just finished a second round of Student Led Conferences (SLC) this school year (one in Semester 1 and another in Semester 2). SLCs are a formal opportunity for students to present to their parents about the state of their learning. The students’ advisor (a teacher responsible for a …

(1 Comment)

Visible Thinking in Math- Part 1

fail

(2 Comments)

How to Cite Images on Your Blog

citing-images-thumb

When using Copyrighted work with written permission from owner… Used with permission from “name” , URL link to original source and or owner online presence. Ex. Used with permission from Silvia Tolisano http://langwitches.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/google-glass-recording-225×225.jpg When using images licensed under Creative Commons… Image licensed under Creative Commons by “name or username “. …

(1 Comment)

iPads

Evaluating iPad Apps

ipad-components-content

I wanted to take a closer look at the iPad Evaluation I previously blogged about in Evaluating Apps with Transformative Use in Mind. The section of Content and Components deserved a closer look and explanation. You can  download the PDF file of the iPad App Evaluation for the Classroom with …

(No Comments)

Visible Thinking in Math- Part 1

fail

(2 Comments)

Self- Directed Course: iPads in the Classroom

image2-lens-of-pedagogy

Professional Learning Board just released a Self-study  iPads in the Classroom course I wrote. It is a  self-directed course to take in your own time and at your own speed. “You have an iPad in your classroom, now what?” The iPad helps us prepare today’s student for today’s world in …

(10 Comments)

Digital Storytelling

Poetry on Record

Slide1

Inspired by Poetry, Performance & Taylor Mali and Beyond…, 8th grade Humanities teacher Shannon Hancock coached her students to create their own original “Mali Poem”and record a visual and vocal performance. I joined the class to give a brief overview of presentation design. I used selected slides from my slidedeck below to …

(No Comments)

Workflow & Learnflow of an Animation Story

pedro

After teaching a 1:1 Toolkit class for incoming Middle Schoolers tothe 1:1 laptop environment this past quarter, I am currently teaching a Media Basics course for sixth graders. I am using a school blog to document the class (among others), showcase student work, share resources and give written step-by-step directions …

(No Comments)

My StoryTelling App Folder(s)

storytelling-app

Matt Gomez shared a post today with a screenshot of his storytelling iPad app folder. I wanted to reciprocate and share mine. Storytelling I Folder StoryBuddy StoryBuilder StoryPagesHD Toontastic Tappy Memories StoryBoards Premium StoryMaker HD StoryPatch In a World … Drama Build a Story PhotoPuppets HD Epic Citadel Sock Puppets …

(24 Comments)

%d bloggers like this: